Trash & Recycling Rules & Regulations
The Village of Green Island will supply initial refuse barrel at no cost to homeowner.
Homeowner is responsible for maintenance and/or replacement of barrel.
Initial barrel and any replacement barrel remains property of VGI.
Homeowner may lease one additional barrel at a cost of $75.00 for the 95 gallon size or $70.00 for the 65 gallon size. Please use the order form at the end of page. This second barrel will be picked up without charge.
Barrels may only be used fro non-recyclable household waste.
Upon occasional need for excess garbage capacity, residents may purchase approved VGI plastic bags at the Village Office at a cost of $2.00 each.
A listing of recyclables and rules for recycling.
- All glass, plastics, and tin cans must be clean.
- Labels do not have to be removed.
- All caps from bottles must be removed and disposed of in regular
- All glass, plastics and tin cans must be placed in clear plastic
bags and places at the curb on regular garbage day.
- Do not place recyclable bags inside garbage barrels.
Lawn clippings and leaves must be placed in biodegradable bags and placed at the curb (not in a barrel) on regular garbage pick up days.
- Twigs and small branches may be put in lawn/leaf bags.
- Dirt or other materials can not be put in lawn/leaf bags.
- Commingling such prohibited materials in lawn/leaf bags will
make bags ineligible for pick up.
Corrugated cardboard will be recycled. It must be broken down flat. If you have more than one piece of corrugated cardboard, they must be tied or taped together (so they don’t blow all over the streets).
Newspapers, magazines and office paper are to be places in a paper bag or a clear plastic bag and placed at the curb on regular garbage day.
Pick up of refuse barrel trash, recyclables and biodegradable lawn/leaf bags will continue to be weekly on regular pick up day (Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on street address).
A listing of all items that are not permitted to be disposed of in barrels will be provided to each household (please see attached list).
- The cost for disposal of such items in provided in said list.
- Stickers for disposal of these items may be purchased at the Village
- Stickers must be placed on item before it can be picked up.
- Pick up of about listed stickered items will be on the 1st and 3rd
Thursdays of each month, excluding holidays.
Rules & Regulations effective September 2008.
Barrel Order Form
Floor or Apartment Number: _______________________________________________
Telephone Number: ______________________________________________________
Size of Barrel: ____________ 95 Gal/$75.00 or ____________ 65 Gal/$70.00
Amount Enclosed: $______________________
Please remit to: Village of Green Island
20 Clinton St
Green Island, NY 12183
Barrel will only be delivered to your home upon receipt of order form and check. Only on additional barrel allowed.